Saturday, October 14, 2006

Bartenders revisited

Anyone who lives in New York City knows that bar life and night life is a main staple in your own life. I enjoy going out to meet friends in a public spot- look at people around me, enjoy the atmosphere (when it doesn't smell like bleach and vomit like the Johnson’s- vomit,coke, teenage testicles, vag and smoke like Lit- or strange cheese like Subway Soul hosted every month at Rififi- but I endure because once your nose adjusts the music is good, the people are fun etc.). The possibilities for a good night out in this city are endless. What I do not enjoy is the sneaky bartenders who are looking to make a buck and prey on what they assume are "unsavvy" customers.

LCL and I were out on our first SFDN (spontaneous fall date night). We headed over to the Flatiron district (someone was calling it Chelsea, it wasn't) to one of those bar art shows ( I am not sure how I feel about the bar as a venue for art but I digress). The space was ok, nice booths and plenty of space but the lighting sucked for viewing work and each other (the BEST lighting in a bar is Big Bar on 7th- I highly suggest this little spot for first meetings and intimate conversations, the pink hues in the light make everyone look nice and glowing). We ordered our drinks right away- makers on the rocks for me and stoli and soda for the lady. I asked for the total 18$. I took a step back and said "what?!" but accepted it and pulled out my card. "Ummmmmmmm yeah, there is a 30$ minimum for using a card?!..." came back at me in the BITCHIEST tone from some short troll looking hooker behind the counter. I decided that was fine, I would just switch out the cards and get cash around the corner when we wanted to leave.

The artwork was not my thing- lots of rockabilly Goth art, pin ups etc. having said that it was of the better variety for that sort of work. We decided that with 18$ for two drinks, lame art,no one cute for either of us to flirt with and a desire to get stoned it was time to leave. I went to the atm around the corner, got my cash and went back to the bitch troll hooker to ask for my total again.

Bitch gives me the up and down and slyly says "ummm yeah... 20$".

I smelt someone who not only needed to douche but was trying to pull one over on me "ummmmmmm YEAH (I mocked back), well you said 18$ last time, what’s up with that?"

"Ummmmmmm yeah well lets break it down..." she proceeds to hide the piece of paper as she tells me " makers on the rocks was ahhhhh 9$ and stoli and soda was niii ummm- eleven, yeah eleven that makes... umm 20$". 11$ for a drop of stoli and flat soda water with too much ice and no fruit! I was livid at this point.

I know what she was doing- jacking up the price to pocket the extra and get a better tip. I did not think to ask for the slip when she slyly "tallied" it away from me. The bitch couldn't even do math when she way lying to me and pausing with her ummmmmmmmnmmmmms over and over. You could see the skanky gears turning. I, being the bitch I am, threw a 20$ at her and said "That’s all your getting out me!" and walked out. Yeah an over reaction, I admit, I mean the bitch was already smitten with ugliness why did I need to rub something else in her face- regardless I hate being played a fool.

This is not the first time some young whore has tried to change prices on me. I just think it is ridiculous when they do this. It may work on some straight guy staring at their tits but thank god I am not so dumb and am looking at their faces and reading their eyes. Once again, I understand everyone is trying to make a buck in this city but ripping people off is another story.

I love bartenders usually- so to all of you out there I say - STOP FUCKING ME OVER AND JUST POUR A GOOD STRONG DRINK... because thats when I give you a good tip, a generous tip because you deserve it. Damn I need a drink.

No comments: